Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Oblivion Interview

1. For those that have never heard of you before can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Nick: We're a mix of musicians that have previously been in other bands for years, some of us have toured extensively and are done with it. We are all fans of extreme metal, death metal in particular, and want to release the best modern extreme metal we possibly can.
Ben: Nick reached out to me to join in on Bass after I had left ALL SHALL PERISH last December. I couldn't think of a sicker project to get involved in! Nick and I go way back, playing together in the 90’s grind band ANTAGONY, So I knew going into this if would be a good fit.

2. How would you describe your musical sound for those that have yet to hear to the music?
Nick: Fast, emotive, and dark.
Ben: Oblivion is fast and technical death metal, But at the same time there is a whole other level of musical awareness that is apparent throughout the playing. CALLED TO RISE has a lot of very interesting moments that challenge the listener, Leaving them to discover more and more on repeat listens.

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about your song lyrics?
Nick: Our lyrics deal with events in history that are not discussed in mainstream culture.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Oblivion?
Nick: When we were thinking of a name, I was reading a lot of different writings of evolution and such (recommended by Ted). And I kept seeing the word "Oblivion." It fit perfectly with what we wanted to convey. Most people don't know what it means. We interpret it as "the state of being lost or forgotten." Like knowledge.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
Nick: We've yet to play an official live show.

6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
Nick: Nope.

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of technical and brutal death metal?
Ben: AMAZING!! We seem to have a very dedicated following in Italy of all places. I have traveled there many times, and I have seen how nuts the scene is out there. They are ravenous for anything heavy and loud… I love it.
Nick: We've received a tremendous amount of accolades and positive response from just one album and a few videos. We are overwhelmed and extremely happy to be received so well by metal fans.

8. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
Nick: My solo work as a classical composer. http://nickvasallo.com/

9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
Ben: I would like to take Oblivion to a much deeper darker place
Nick: Yes, and into more esoteric structures and atmospheres. Some of which you can hear on a few of the songs on "Called to Rise." I'd like to involve a more modern classical influence as well. Maybe incorporate different instruments into our next album.

10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Nick: I don't listen to Metal much anymore. But I have been listening to modern art ensembles like The Living Earth Show, they are a fringe band bordering on Indie Post-Rock, minimalist, and modern art music.

11.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Nick: I teach music theory at Cal Poly Pomona, so I am always thinking about theory. I love cooking, I probably would be a chef if not a music professor. I also love MMA and American football.
Ben: I own a screen printing shop that specializes in custom band merch –http://www.weneedmerch.com. I have pretty much committed myself to making sure bands get quality printed t-shirts at a price they can actually afford. It’s important these days, since merch is where bands primarily make their month on the road.

12.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Nick: Stay tuned for more, we promise an ever-involving musical approach to what we release!
Ben: Expect even more new music soon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment